Saturday, August 6, 2016

And so it ends...

     Hello! It appears I have reached the end of my nine week venture in Washington DC and a close has come to my internship with the White House Initiative on American Indian and Alaska Native Education at the Department of Education. I cannot say enough how grateful I am to have had the opportunity to spend my summer in this great city and I extend my deepest gratitude to the Mgrublian Center for Human Rights for having funded my stay.
        
     Before I discuss my final week in the office with the initiative, I must of course tell you about the public policy conference I attended over the weekend. The Heinz College of Carnegie Mellon invited me to a leadership conference this past weekend to discuss a future in public policy and international affairs. I met brilliant likeminded students from around the country for the event and I am extremely glad I attended. The conference allowed me to share ideas and develop new ones of my own regarding my next steps after graduation from CMC. I also attended some fascinating workshops on the power of negotiation and the necessity for respect in the workplace. I met some extremely accomplished public servants with varied diverse backgrounds who inspired me to keep searching for my specific passion in government. Public service is a thankless job and the more time I spend around dedicated servants such as those I met this past weekend, the more motivated I become to uphold their legacy and maintain their exemplary work ethic.
     
     I also attended two think tank talks this past week. One was held at the US Institute of Peace and was focused on art’s potential to become a tool for peace in the Middle East. The other was at the Hudson Institute and discussed the challenges impeding economic and political development in South Africa. Both talks were really fascinating, but the first was definitely my favorite. It was refreshing and inspiring to hear from “art lords” working in Afghanistan, Jordan, and Iraq, to listen to them discuss their efforts to bring communities together to color the streets with beautiful murals and art. Their courage spoke volumes to me. I find it invaluable to listen to individuals who refuse to accept what is, who have the audacity to dream of what could be. If it weren’t for these brave minds with their tenacious refusal to accept the chaos and destruction of war, we would be a lost species undoubtedly. But enough of my romantic rambling of human rights activists! I will discuss my final week of work now.
    
    I completed the majority of my projects before the beginning of my last week, a major relief from my perspective. That being said, there was one massive project concerning a database (with sensitive information) that had yet to be finished. With the help of a few other interns, though, we were able to complete our work and left the department feeling a great sense of accomplishment. Reflecting on my time with my team, I was definitely presented with a great deal of leadership opportunities, all of which I snatched quite aggressively. Humor aside, I believe my work environment presented me with a perfect balance of structure and flexibility. There was enough guidance, but enough leeway for me to get things done with my own flair of creativity stamped on a majority of my projects.
    
     Additionally, I really want to acknowledge how great my supervisors were. Bill Mendoza (the initiative’s director) and Mia Long (senior policy advisor) embodied everything I look for in superiors. They were passionate, humble, lighthearted bosses who never lost sight of the big picture. I will forever be appreciative of their patience with us interns during the first few weeks as well. What I admired most strongly, though, was their sense of responsibility to those they serve and their unbending principles that always moved them forward from defeats. Their job is thankless yet no matter how difficult their days were, they kept moving forward. No matter how many projects were returned to their desks from the White House, no matter how many tribal leaders angrily confronted them about their lack  of work (as if), they never gave up. I can only hope to be as driven in my own career one day.
     
     
Winning team 9 from Heinz College Conference 

Allie and Bri at the White House Initiative!  

My view from the Washington Monument after my evening runs
This summer in DC has without a doubt been the most productive and fun use of my time in between school years. I’m looking forward to my return to Southern California for some much needed family bonding before I head to Belgrade for my fall semester. Once again, I want to thank the Mgrublian Center for funding my internship. My summer wouldn’t have been possible without them!


       

No comments:

Post a Comment