Saturday, July 23, 2016

July 23rd 2016

     As I approach the final two weeks of my summer in D.C., I can’t help but reflect a little more frequently. On the one hand, this city has been more fun and rewarding than I’m able to express. On the other hand, the hot and sticky humidity has me desperately missing the dry (and much more comfortable) heat of southern California. Minor complaints about the weather aside, I definitely think I could see myself living and working in this city after graduation. The exposure to the world of public policy and government makes me only want to stay and dive myself in further. I still feel like that kid in the candy store, totally overwhelmed and excited at all the options that lie ahead of me.
     
     My projects at work always keep me busy. They also offer me plenty of opportunities to assume leadership, something I’m very comfortable with and more than happy to grab at while I’m here. The content of my projects has actually become a bit sensitive, so I unfortunately can’t share too many details about them at this point. I will say, however, that I’ve become very familiar with the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) that replaced the No Child Left Behind Act recently. The ways in which each of the titles of the bill applies to native students is of particular interest to my office. I get to connect with public schools around the country on a daily basis right now, and it’s extremely fascinating to hear their diverse perspectives. Some afternoons, I find myself on phone calls with superintendents from schools in South Dakota, for example, from a town of 700 people. Their stories bring my work to life, and that’s something I really appreciate.
    
    I’ve found the Department of Education to be a really welcoming and exciting environment these last seven weeks. I’ve met some truly brilliant and passionate public servants who, whether or not they know it, have totally restored my faith in a fundamental component of our democracy. As I look forward to my last two weeks of the internship, I’m also excited for a few additional activities in D.C. that I’ve signed myself up for. I’m attending the Heinz College's 2016 Public Service Weekend this upcoming Friday through Sunday. I was recently sent my itinerary and I’m pretty excited for our activities and keynote speakers. The focus is public policy and international affairs so I think it’s fair to assume I’ll have a great time. Additionally, I’ve signed up for two think tank talks next week. On Thursday I will be attending a talk about the use of art to cultivate peace in Afghanistan at the U.S. Institute of Peace. Also, on Friday (before I attend the conference) I will attend a Hudson talk on the future of democracy in South Africa. One of my best friends is actually in Cape Town for the summer and he shares vivid stories of the rather rampant inequality that flourishes there. His stories peaked my interest in attending the second talk.


     I will have plenty to share after the conference finishes and I’m excited to share! This will certainly be an eventful week for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment